How to get a medical marijuana card
The Michigan Medical Marihuana Program (MMMP) is a state registry program within the Health Professions Licensing Division in the Bureau of Health Care Services at the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. The program administers the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act as approved by Michigan voters on November 4, 2008. The program implements the statutory tenets of this act in such a manner that protects the public and assures the confidentiality of its participants.
The applicant will need to contact a Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery (DO) fully licensed in the state of Michigan. If the physician determines the patient to have one of the debilitating medical conditions approved in the MMMA, and completes and signs the Physician Certification, the patient can then complete the MMP Application Form for Registry ID Card. Most Doctors will require Medical Records to be faxed or mailed to their office for review of your condition(s).
Northern Specialty Health does not work with or endorse any doctors. Check out our Doctors/Clinics page for contact information on doctors that we’re aware of in the area that have completed the Physician Certification for patients.
Step 1: Find out if you qualify for The Card
To qualify for The Card, you need to have one of the following conditions:
- Hepatitis C
- Crohn’s disease
- Nail patella
- Any chronic disease which causes chronic pain, severe nausea, wasting syndrome, seizures or severe muscle spasms
Step 2: Find a doctor who will help you get The Card
As you may have already discovered from your own experience (or by reading our free eBook about the real reasons your doctor won’t prescribe marijuana), finding a medical marijuana doctor in Michigan can be pretty hard. Of course, this isn’t always the case and some people have found it very easy to find a doctor who will support their push to access marijuana to help them deal with their illness. Thankfully, if you happen to be in the former camp, there are websites you can visit that will help you find a doctor willing to talk to you. One such website is Marijuana Doctors. Here, you will find an exhaustive list of doctors that would be happy to speak with you about your condition and whether or not you would qualify for medical marijuana. This website will let you see their profiles and get all the details you need before you book an appointment.
Step 3: Apply for The Card
Once you’ve seen your doctor and he/she thinks you qualify for The Card, you may now go ahead and begin the application process with the Michigan Medical Marihuana Program. The following is a list of things you will need for your application:
- Medical records from your doctor describing the diagnosis
- A signed Physician’s Statement from a physician, currently licensed to practice medicine in Michigan
- Valid proof of residency in Michigan.
- Fill out your application form- MMMP – Application Form and Instructions
- Mail your application and Physician Statement to the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) along with the following documents:
- Copy of your Photo ID
- Caregiver Attestation (if applying for a minor)
- Copy of Caregiver’s Photo Identification (if applicable)
- A check or money order in the amount of the application made payable to State of Michigan—MMMP (there’s a reduced fee of $25.00 if currently enrolled in Medicaid or receiving SSI or SSD (include proof if you are a recipient of Medicaid, SSI or SSD))
- Submit application to:
Michigan Medical Marihuana Program
Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Professional Licensing
PO Box 30083
Lansing, MI 48909
You can also find out more about the application process here.
Step 4: Find a good dispensary
Once you have The Card, your next and final stop is the marijuana dispensary. Starting medical marijuana for the first time can be a confusing time so you will need all the help and support you can get. As Houghton’s only permitted medical marijuana center, we have the experience to help you through this time and provide you with the products that will be of most help to you. Need advice? Schedule a call or a visit with us or message us directly on Facebook!
Application Forms and Instructions for Medical Marihuana Registration